This large carved architectural element was the base of a column and finial from the old Batley Theater building in Batley, West Yorkshire, England. The theater was built in the 1850s and demolished in 1985, at which time the base was bought for private use on an estate in Lincolnshire, England.
The element has two scrolls facing inward with decorative leaf carvings in the center. The design has a deep relief with nice patina and mossy growth. Circa 1855.
The base could be used as a plinth or as a table base.