This large millstone was used in an old Corn Mill in Bradford, England. The Corn Mill was built in the early 19th century and demolished in 1984, at which time the millstone was bought for private use on an estate in Lincolnshire, England. While still at the mill this millstone, called the "runner", sat on top of another millstone, called the "bedstone". The bedstone remained stationary while the runner stone turned on top to grind the corn. The deep gaps along the edge were used to raise the millstone and re-cut the furrows once they had worn down from grinding. The carved stone is made from Derbyshire Grit, a Yorkshire sandstone. Circa 1810.
For more information, read our blog on the history of Millstones.